Assessment/ Strength Testing

Railroad Jobs Forums Railroad Jobs Forum Assessment/ Strength Testing

Tagged: 

This topic contains 158 replies, has 69 voices, and was last updated by  jritz27 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 159 total)
  • Author

cjhx33

Hello all… just a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer before I go in to the hiring session this Wednesday. One is, how extensive is the skills test and is there anything I can do to prepare myself? The second is, I had a surgery on my ankle about 6 years ago now while in the Military. How much does a guy depend on his ankles during the strength test?

Thank you all!!

railspiker13

I am still awaiting my strength test, but there is a link on BNSF website that shows what you can expect from the strength test. It looks like they test your range of motion on the knees and the shoulders.

As far as the skills test, assuming you are testing for a conductor position, it is your ability to reason. There are several scenarios and you have to demonstrate your ability to reason… it is a bit above the common sense level, just look at the scenarios carefully, the answers are there!

11 people out of a room of 35 failed this portion of the test when I went to the interview a couple weeks ago.

cjhx33

Thank you for the info! I am applying for the signal apprentice position!

Sean Martin

Good info railspiker!

EliM2010

My friend that just came back from his strength test on thursday the 26th of this month told me about the same thing as posted from railspiker13 … its all about the knees and common sence and its all about BENDING AT THE KNESS as CSX and ALOT of railroad companies believe in SAFTEY FIRST SAFTEY FIRST SAFTEY FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean Martin

Gonna make this a sticky since 2.4 million peeps have asked the same question! lol

gmonty

There’s a link on the CSX website

ggam62

I can only speak for CSX. The assessment took place online as part of the application process. There are different tests for different positions. I applied for freight conductor and had reasoning problems. As Railspike mentioned, the reasoning section was difficult especially if your not familiar with reason problems. This link gives you some examples http://www.jeffparish.net/jppd/index.cfm?DocID=39. You may not need to take a reasoning test for signal apprentice.

The strength test they strapped me into a chair to test my shoulders and knees, I’m pushing 50 and I gimp around in the morning until my joints warm up. I just passed my strength test a month ago. You just need to push an pull as hard and as aggressively as you possibly can. If you go about it with minimal force being applied in your effort you won’t pass. If you have aches and pains like I do just suck it up and push through it and you’ll do fine.

Review the strength test at this link…http://ipcs-inc.com/index.php?page=about, click on “knee video and shoulder video”

Good luck

vrodriguez

Hi I’m new here and I was looking for advice on the csx assessment test. I’m very sorry if someone asked before but looked here, and on Google and no luck. I helped my friend take the assessment test and we couldn’t finish any of the sessions. How bad can that be? Would they even consider him? I felt like whatever we answered was right, however I feel like it was impossible to finish it with the time given so I wonder if that would affect him. I applied to a company before and didn’t get to complete some sessions for the assessment, and still manage to get an interview. So how serious the take this test. Thanks in advanced

I was wondering the same thing vrodriguez about the assessment test for CSX although i only couldnt finish one section. crossing my fingers

gmonty

Sillyboy..i didnt answer all the questions on the shortest section and got an invite, then didnt answer them all at session..still got a job offer

andyyoder

Depending on what position you are applying for you will have different assessments. From what I was told about a conductors assessment is that they grade them off what you awnser. When I took mine there was 3 tests. I finished all assessments except for the middle one which was verbal reasoning (seems to be the one that everyone has trouble with) The best advice would to be is to call their HR department. They are the only ones who can help you out. They told me what to study and what to “google”

fastvsix

I called csx’s hr about this back in December. They told me its graded on how many you answer. The questions not answered are not considered wrong. The conductor verbal section (5 min test in the middle) should be the only one that is difficult to finish. You are given about 45 mins each for the 1st and 3rd part which is plenty of time. They haven’t changed those two sections in the last two years. I can answer all of them without even reading the sections anymore….although I still do just to make sure I come up with the same answers. I can get through about 2/3rds of the 2nd test. Its the test where they give you a question like: the library is taller than the store. City hall is taller than the library. The school is shorter than city hall….question: is the library taller than the school? Then you answer true, false or not enough info.

SeaRail

What physical/strength testing is needed for those trying to get on in mechanical positions such as shop helper, oiler or apprentice mechanic?

Also, any idea if they test for depth perception in these positions?

vrodriguez

In All of the sessions they just gave him about 3 minutes the most….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.