Background check and referencing current employer

Railroad Jobs Forums Railroad Jobs Forum Background check and referencing current employer

This topic contains 44 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  seeajgo 3 days, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

jran

I’m applying with NS and CSX soon and was wondering what the protocol is for talking to your current employer. Do you provide either of them with contact information (i.e. the name of your current boss) or do they conduct the investigation themselves?

The reason I ask is that I have quite a bit of experience working in the grocery industry as a receiver, but it was never something listed as an actual job title. My last boss and my current boss would with out a doubt verify this information, but if they ended up contacting the HR manager he may just tell them that my job title is clerk – in essence making it seem like I’m fudging me resume. Any thoughts?

Grendie

Jran, you need to put contact information down. Make sure you are 100% accurate on your applications. Give a detailed explanation of your current job title and the duties you perform. You do not want any surprises to pop up during the back ground investigation. The railroad will check on your previous employment.

Sean Martin

Ditto what Grendie said.

dbask

Do the rr companies check on jobs that you wouldn’t put on yoyr app or resume. I have had a job that I was at for 2 months and I was told I shouldn’t put that. My question is will they find out about that job through my ssn number

RC_Cola

My own humble opinion is that if you don’t tell them and they find out, you’re dead in the water. It shouldn’t matter if you have other jobs that you’ve worked at longer to go with it.

Grendie

@ dbask, put down all the information they ask for. Be 100% accurate. They will find out. Put it down and write an explanation if you have to. If you don’t put it down, when they find out about it they will just toss your app and you are done.

Good luck

dbask

I been working since 1999 I’m only 27. I can even remember all the jobs I had. I hear they only ask for tge last 7 years. I think I seen on one application it said the last 5 . If so how can I get information to all my employment dates just to be accurate

012LDY

Definitely don’t hold anything back. My background investigator called my former employer of nearly 20 years and my old boss instructed him to call the main HQ for our department. They told him over the phone that I simply had worked from 19– to 20–, and that I was not terminated. Very brief. Well, he actually went by to my former office where I worked (within 35 miles of the RR yard) and interviewed about four people there who I had worked for/with. Lesson being that the investigator can go and get information on you if you think otherwise ! Good Luck.

Sean Martin

@012LDY what RR was that that the investigator did all that?

@dbask yes put every job. Call all your previous employers and ask for the dates you workded…

drewg350

012LDY–Please tell us what RR did that? I went thru 3 complete background checks with NS, CSX, and BNSF all this year and none of them ever went into any kind of depth you speak of. Nor did any send out some kind of “detective” to speak with my co-workers at my job. What your describing sounds more like what I went thru for my top secret clearance when I was in the Air Force. For that, they sent investigators all around my neighborhood and high school interviewing my friends, neighbors, teachers, co-workers, etc…But that cost’s ALOT of time and money, something NO RR would even do for a “conductor trainee” position.

JDirty

I just got hired on with CSX.. Can anyone tell me if a felony adjucation withheld from 8yrs ago stop me from getting the job??

drewg350

I’ve been thru 3-RR background checks this year, NS in January, CSX in February, and BNSF last week. I can tell you there are some differences.

First off, NS, they DO NOT use an outside agency to complete their background checks, unlike both CSX and BNSF who do, NS has their own police department, or special agents, complete their checks. This has some advantages. If your granted an offer, you’ll be asked to call the the local NS police agent at your terminal (or they might call you) and schedule a 10 minute appointment so you can stop by and sign some forms. When you get there you might find out they already “pulled” some or all of your background. In my case, they asked me a few questions regarding my driving record and they already had it. She wanted to see if I was truthful. They also have you sign the standard US Gov I-9 Employment Verification Form and show two forms of ID. These ID’s must be right. You cannot show up with any two forms of ID. Do a Google search on GOV I-9 and you’ll see the acceptable combination of ID that they must have. The good thing about NS doing there own checks is the speed, and I believe they are quite a bit less demanding as to the requirements. In other words, they are not so “strict” about certain dates and employment time lines. Personally of the 3 RR’s background checks, both myself and the other trainee’s I was with, all felt it was done really quick, and they weren’t real “sticklers” for everything.

As for CSX, they use an outside agency called “ACXIOM” to do their background checks. They are pretty thourough, and will contact you REPEATEDLY via email, and by phone, looking for additional information, including high school/college degree’s, W-2′s, contact information, etc…They go back 5 years for employment.

As for BNSF, they also use an outside agency called “VERIFICATION, Inc.”. They were by far the most thourough and demanding of the 3 background checks I went thru. They will contact you by phone only, not email, and ask for anything they need. They go back a FULL 7 years in your employment history and indefinitely as far as your criminal check. Unlike both NS and CSX who were satisfied with me sending them copies of my high school diplomas, Verifications, Inc. would not accept that. They HAD to contact my high school to confirm my information. I thought this was a little “overboard” as I graduated in 1986, but they insisted. Remember, this wasn’t my college degree, but my high school. They will not budge on any of their requirements, even a little.

Lastly, my boss told me that by far, Verification, Inc. had him on the phone the longest, asking him the most questions. ACXIOM for CSX asked just a few, and NS police asked the least, just the dates I was employed. Hope some of this helps !!!!

drewg350

JDirty: “I just got hired on with CSX.. Can anyone tell me if a felony adjucation withheld from 8yrs ago stop me from getting the job?? “

Jay, did you disclose this on the application? If not and it turns up, than most likley you will NOT get the job. If you disclosed it, you can HOPE it won’t cost you the job. I know the RR will past alot of misdemenors, however felonies are another matter. I haven’t read of anyone lately being hired with a felony. I know years ago before EVERYTHING was public and available almost everywhere, you might get hired, however that’s definitely not the case today. If you do a search on here there’s a few guys who have posted this very question. One case is very sad from a guy who had a felony from like 30+ years ago. He cannot get hired on the RR. He’s been granted conditional offers too, however once the background check comes in, he’s released. I have a friend with a felony and he can’t get hired ANYWHERE (decent at least). He tried to have his car “stolen” and got caught. He now has a felony conviction for insurance fraud, lost his $100,000.00 a year job, and hasn’t found a job in over 10 months. A felony is a job killer for life. Good luck!!!

JDirty

Thx for the info drew but I was NOT convicted for a felony. The judge gave me some terms to follow and as long as I followed them I wasn’t convicted.. This doesn’t come up on my background but if you pull court records you will see it, which they do for the counties you have lived in. I still have all my rights and is consider not to be a felon, but since this happen I have had some jobs tell me no and some jobs tell me ok.

drewg350

JDirty–excellent. I’m clad things worked out for you and you didn’t get that “lifetime” tag of being a felon. It makes getting hired nowadays all but impossible for many highly sought after jobs. Sounds like you had a very good, and very reasonable, judge. I believe as long as you are not classified a felon, your fine. You should have no problems. If your not classified as a felon, I wouldn’t even disclose it when asked about “felons”. If your asked about any convictions or if you’ve ever been arrested, your gonna have to disclose it, but being you weren’t convicted of a felony, I don’t see any problems. You should not be automatically disbarred from any job based soley on that term or crime.

Good luck, and please let us know how things work out for you so you can help someone else in a similar position. Thanks!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.