Interview tips with bnsf

Railroad Jobs Forums Railroad Jobs Forum Interview tips with bnsf

This topic contains 0 voices and has 10 replies.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Dustin4

Hello my name is Dustin I was recently invited to a hiring session for BNSF for December 1, I am a EMT I have firefighting background I prefer to work outdoors in any weather conditions have knowledge and experience in automotive repair, know how to use tools rangeing from hand to power, knowledge of pneumatic and hydraulic equipment some electrical background, welding, maintaining a hazard free work area’s, that’s all I can think of right now, any tips on how to prepare for this interview? Its for track labor. Any input would be helpful thank you.

johnnbea

@Dustin4

Relax and put your game face on. Spend some time on here going through the forums, and just making sure you are familiar with all the things you could get hit with. Interviews for BNSF are not terribly difficult. The same interview for everyone, very scripted, and focus on safety. Just use your answers to very generic questions, to make yourself shine. Be prepared to answer questions about working with other people, and how you handled disagreements in the past, as that will come up. Just go in prepared and knowledgeable, confident and not cocky, and just converse with the hiring reps, and you’ll do fine. Good luck to you!

johnnbea

@Dustin4

Also, if you don’t have it, get the Railroad Jobs guide. It’s worth every penny! Lots of great information in there too!

Sean Martin

Johnbea is right as usual!

Dustin4

Thanx for all of your help one more thing What to wear? if i wore slacks nice dress shoes button up shirt and tie would that give the impression for “office job” or is it a good idea to dress to impress. I want to buy the e-book but i’m literally spending all my money on gas, hotel room for the interview it is an 11 hour drive one way for me. the interview is in Klamath Falls,OR for a position in Westwood, CA i’m coming from southern Cal. i looked through the 16 pages of posts and couldn’t find the topic.

Dyrtryder26

Dustin—What you plan on wearing sounds good. You dont want to overdress though. The majority of people say khakis with a nice button up shirt or polo with nice shoes is perfect. I personally wouldnt go all out with a tie and everything but thats up to you. You just dont want to look lazy. Push your chair in and look for ways to show your safe like pick trash up off the floor etc. Good luck!

johnnbea

@Dustin

What you are planning sounds fine! However, I see things a little differently than Dyrtryder does. You only get 1 chance, to make that first, and often, ONLY impression. It had better be your best! I would say, if you have the sport coat, throw it into the mix! But you should be fine with slacks and a tie! Good luck to you!

Sean Martin

Good advice!

mm051473

Dustin-I wore dress pants and a shirt and tie. I read allot of this forum and Sean’s book 5 times. This was my first RR interview and I got an offer. If you can swing the book I would do it. The info in there could be the difference. If it helps you get the job the cost is really nothing in the long run.

Dustin4

What are some things to try and avoid during interview?

Sean Martin

Dustin get the downloadable e-book. All that stuff is in there. Or spend 10 hours combing thru this forum.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.